Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Clinging

Last night Aaron and I read devotion title Clinging to God - what an appropriate title.
I find that in times of trouble we tend to cling tight to God and anything that makes us feel safe - I pray that I will in the next year - cling tighter to God when things are good, and I am certain 2009 will be good! I pray to cling all the time.

"I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;
That you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them." Deuteronomy 30:19-20

lesson
Have you ever seen a scared or troubled child "clinging" to Mommy's skirt or Daddy's pants with all his or her might? This is the picture I get when I read this promise. As parents grow in their relationship with God, more and more, they assume the posture of "clinging" to the Creator in times of trouble and in the midst of a very wicked world. This impresses the minds of children, often compelling them to maintain the same stance. People of this world tend to cling to a rope that unravels - and they often perish as a result: mentally, emotionally, and even physically. God's offspring cling to an unbreakable chain of hope in God's promises. At the end is the "anchor of the soul" going beyond the veil of time

prayer
LORD GOD, I first confess that not only do I believe in You, I also "cling" to You. In times of difficulty, my intentions are to hold on to You will all my might. I pray You will awaken this depth of dependency in my son. Instead of "clinging" to the things of the world for fulfillment and satisfaction, may Jeremiah Parker Shelby always "cling" to You - with a tenacity that will never let go. I confess that this kind of spiritual stick-to-itiveness will be the prevailing attitude of my child's heart all the days of his life - in Jesus' Name, AMEN (let it be so!)

In one week we will have either met Jeremy, or the process will have started and we will soon meet this little man so many of us are ready to meet. What an amazing thought as I enter the new year - 2009 ...

Please be safe tonight, as my Dad always says " It is amateur night" .. meaning people do VERY silly things on this nght of the year - so stay off the roads.
Aaron and I will go for an early dinner then be in ... not even sure we will make it to midnight, so please if you are going out, have fun - and be safe.
Next post ... Next Year!

GRACE AND PEACE!

No comments: