Monday, April 13, 2009

Facing Fears

My daily reading today has taken me into Job ... over the past 9 months or so, I have had a number of friends tell me that they have studied Job and I should take a closer look at the book. I am sure sometime I will spend more time in just this book - I have spent time in Job, as part of my reading the Bible in one year (this is the 3rd year I am going through the Bible) but I have yet spent an extend period of time just with this one book. I know the story and I understand why it would be appropriate for me to take a closer look - but I just have not been truly inspired to do so - yet. 

With that stated - and looking back how last week I was considering my fears. Today's reading from Stromie was very timely - DUH.
"What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me. I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil" Job 3:25-26
Job was considered by God to be a righteous man, yet Job had fear. He feared something happening to his children,. He feared failing health. He feared losing everything. When each one of those fears came true, he said, "I have no rest, but only turmoil." Overwhelmed with grief, Job wished he had never been born. He had lived according to God's laws, had worshipped God rather than his possessions, and still he was afflicted. Who can criticize Job for his reaction?How many of us have lost everything - including our children, health, and possessions? How would we respond to such a horrible situation?
When the thing we fear most comes upon us, the only way to react is to praise God in the midst of it. That doesn't mean we have to act as though nothing bad has happened. Besides, healthy grief is important. But we must still recognize he things about God that are always true no matter what is happening  and how afraid we are.
Whatever your deepest fears are right now, bring everyone of them to God. Thank Him that He is greater than any of them. Thank Him that in His presence all fear is gone. "Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands ... He will have no fear of bad news; his heart steadfast, trusting in the Lord"(Psalm 112:1,7)
God's love can take away your fear. His love gives the power to stand against the enemy of your soul when he wants fear to overwhelm you. And even if your worst fears do come upon you, God's love assures you that He will walk with you every step of the way toward restoration.

PRAISE GOD! 
I think about my current fear - change. And this past year that is all that has been occurring in and around me. Everything has changed. And the fears that became reality during the year of change God has been there - walking with me and many times carrying me. So now when I think more change is coming - I know in my depths that Our Father is with me, walking and ready to carry me if needed. 
Everyday, I recognize how weak I am ... and how the Holy Spirit fills me over and over with the love and strength needed to move through out my day. GLORY!

GRACE AND PEACE!


No comments: