Thursday, September 25, 2008

what a day

Yesterday was one of those days I have not been looking forward to. I was late to school, I hate it when students have to wait to get into my room, i almost ran out of gas on my way in and i had a poor attitude. I was short with my classes, in a funk. I was having all sorts of thoughts about my future, and Jeremy's. 

One thought that continued to creep in dealt with coaching volleyball. I love coaching volleyball, I love training players to become teammates and better players.  I love the relationships developed with the players and parents. But yesterday I spent the day questioning myself and what on earth I was doing - was I even making a difference.

Then God showed up and showed out!
BIG ...
I have one player that is having a hard time at home, we talked on Monday at length. And she felt better, her mother even sent me a thank you. That was great ... but Yesterday after practice she approached me again to say even though things are not great, she feels so much better having shared with me. In fact, she had written something she wanted to share with me. She ran up to the locker and brought back a notebook filled with poetry. She told me she typically writes all the time, but over the last 2 weeks she has had nothing to write. But Tuesday the words came pouring out - and she wanted me to read the poem, because I had helped to inspire her. It was amazing. We both cried, then hugged - she has no idea how such a small gesture impacted me. That was a nudge from God letting me know I am in the right place for a time like this. She was thanking me for being there for her, and little does she know how she was there for me.

Following that, I met with parents of a player. Over the past few years I have gotten to know these parents well, as we discuss their daughters future (high school volleyball and beyond) She is very fortunate to have parents that care so much for her. We had our discussion - then at the end they let me know that they have been reading this blog - and the impact it has made on them and their daughter. WHOA!  Aaron and I have been very selective about sharing our news, and I do plan to let my vb team know, but I have not wanted to add any stress or additional burden the team with this news. For me to know that I have been unknowingly impacting this family was again a bump from God saying,
keep it up. This family, did not know I was having a hard day - they impacted me and provided the encouragement needed so desperately yesterday. THANK YOU!!!

God is so good, we are never alone. 
He always sends messengers to us when we need it the most. Most often from unexpected sources.

So this morning when I read the devotion sent from my Church ... I was moved to share this story.
 * reminder, we are doing a 6 week study, Life On Loan, with 40 days of prayer 

Day 18: Reflecting God; Whether You Like it or Not!
From Chapter Four
“Peter (apostle) said that we should speak as if speaking the very words of God. He said we should serve with the strength God provides. Why? So that God may be praised. You never know when a moment of significance will be coming your way…How you act is a reflection on God – from the words you use and the way you live to the choices you make. You are either enhancing God’s reputation or detracting from it.”
Devotional Thought
People are watching you. Right now, and always, people are watching you. Even if you don’t like being watched, it is happening. We can speak as God would speak, and we can dispense grace and mercy as he does. We can enhance God’s reputation; or if we are to admit it, we can fall drastically short of that goal.
Think about your words and actions among your friends, neighbors, family, and co-workers. Pray about your everyday interactions with others and consider in what ways this may influence people’s attitudes toward God. Pray for the grace that has been given to you to flow back out of you to everyone around you. Pray for God’s grace in your words, deeds, and attitudes. And be thankful for the times that you have served God well and been a positive reflection of who God is!
“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength that God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ…” 1 Peter 4:10-11 (NIV)


I have an additional prayer request ... one of my co-workers shared with me on Tuesday that her husband has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer - please lift this family, his doctors, nurses and all those that will provide care for this family that they will feel the strength, love and peace of Jesus Christ. 


GRACE AND PEACE! 

No comments: