Monday, August 23, 2010

the word i needed

My day starts every morning with multiple email devotions. (Joel Osteen, John Piper, True Women, and Encouragement for Today, from Proverbs 31 women) They are always good, sometimes just in time - others I know I need to pass to friends.

The past few nights I have been not sleeping well, when that happens it always means something is on my mind. Lately it has been our finances. Every month is tight - there is little to none left over at the end. Every month the Lord has blessed us. Some times when I am sitting down to take care of the bills the accounts do not have enough - but we have never missed any payments or even been late. The Lord continues to provide and make a way out of no way. SO you would think I would be doing good in the department of trusting in the Lords provision ... ugh. I am not at all. This is causing restless nights and worry in my head and heart.

Over the weekend I shared with Aaron my troubles, worry and emotions. He had just the right words and calming spirit, yes he was chosen for me! thank you Lord!


This morning 2 of the devotions and my daily bible reading provided reminders and comfort to my weariness.

Encouragement for Today, from Proverbs 31 women (this is just part)

Feelings were getting in the way of my faith. So I went to Psalm 25 (NIV), and allowed the following verses to wash over my spirit.

Verse 1, "To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;"

I felt discouraged, unworthy, hopeless, rejected. So I poured my feelings and my soul out to God. And He listened.

Verse 2, "...in you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me."

God reminded me to trust Him, not a desire or a dream. Not the world's view of things. Not my abilities. Not my time frame. Not my ideas. Just Him. I prayed about my enemies - intangible feelings such as self doubt, insecurities, frustration, and discouragement.

Verse 3, "No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse."

Regardless of whether or not my desires become a reality, I will not be put to shame, because God is my God. If His plans coincide with my dreams, I know He will keep His eternal promises.
Verses 4-5a, "Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me,"

These words stopped me in my tracks. I began to think more rationally. Why have I been beating my head against a wall? Why have I been consumed with anxiety and frustration? Am I allowing God to direct my paths?God gently reminded me that He is the teacher; we are the students.
Verse 5b, "...for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
If I put my hope in my own desires and abilities, I simply set myself up for failure. My only hope for joy and fulfillment comes from Christ alone. Hope can only be found in Him, not people, careers, husbands, children, church, financial success, a carefree life, or dreams that come true.
Disappointments will always happen. With God, however, we can turn those disappointments into God's appointments to trust Him. The first step is exercise our faith over our feelings.

Dear Lord, You know the hurt in my heart and the sting of disappointments I have experienced. Please help me trust You, instead of being consumed by feelings. Empower me with a faith that is stronger than my emotions. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


From Joel:

"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You"

(Isaiah 26:3, NKJ)

TODAY'S WORD from Joel and Victoria

Do you need more peace in your life today? Are you frustrated or upset over something or fighting off discouragement? The first question to ask yourself is "What am I thinking about?"

If you're thinking about your problems all the time or how impossible everything is, then your life is going to follow that negative direction. But, when you get your mind going in the right direction, when you focus your mind on the Word of God, then you are setting yourself in the direction of peace.

Today, choose to keep your mind focused on the Father. Be empowered by meditating on His Word. As you set your thoughts in the right direction, your life will head down the path of peace and victory He has in store for you!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Heavenly Father, thank You for peace today. I receive it as a comforting blanket to my heart, my mind and my emotions. I choose to focus on Your Word today. Direct my steps and guard me by Your peace. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

My daily reading has me in Jeremiah ... "The Joy of Restoration"

I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint. Jeremiah 31:25

... just the words i needed today!

GRACE AND PEACE!


No comments: